Below you will find the identification of the three types of drain flies.
Fruit flies, phorid flies and Moth flies.
All of these can lay larve in your drains which will infest your place of business or home.
Should you have this problem, Lord of the Fruit Flies products will rectify these issues if used properly.
All of our drain foaming systems will alleviate the drain issues for all types of flies however our fruit fly traps will catch only fruit flies.
How to Identify Fruit Flies
A key identifying character is its bright red eyes.
The Fruit fly is about one-third the size of the house or filth fly.
Body color is usually a light yellow to tan color.
Biology and Habits of Fruit Flies:
1. The most common species of fruit flies found in homes and other structures
is D.melanogaster. Fruit flies are also identified as pomace flies or vinegar
flies. These pests can be found throughout the world, in homes, food processing
plants, warehouses, grocery stores, wineries, restaurants and other structures.
2. Populations tend to be greatest in late summer and early fall as they
infest fruits during the harvest season.
3. Fruit flies are among the smallest flies found in homes.
4. With the end of the summer season, many homeowners often encounter fruit
flies in and about their kitchens and near garbage storage areas.
5. They are generally found hovering around decaying vegetation and overripe
fruit, fermenting materials, such as leftover beer or soft drinks.
6. Occasionally, pomace flies, similar in appearance to fruit flies, may
infest the home. The source of a pomace fly problem is often standing water
like a forgotten mop pail or an open sewer drain.
7. Because they frequent such unsanitary areas, flies potentially carry disease-causing
bacteria onto food products.
8. Like all flies, fruit flies develop by complete metamorphosis.
9. Eggs are laid near or on top of attractants (fermenting materials) such
as beverages, decaying fruit and vegetable matter, garbage or slime in drains.
10. They are attracted to any area where moisture has accumulated including
mops and wet rags. The larvae emerge from the eggs and feed near the surface
of the fermenting material for 5-6 days.
Health professionals and sanitariums are concerned when these flies are found
infesting facilities where food is prepared, processed, or served.
11. Newly emerged adults are attracted to lights, but egg laying females
will not leave fermenting materials. The larvae then crawl to drier areas
of the food source or even out of the food source to pupate. Under ideal conditions,
the life cycle from egg to adult can be completed in as little as eight days.
Life cycle from egg to adult is approximately 10 days.
How to Eliminate Fruit Flies
1. Sanitation is the first measure of defense, it is necessary to eliminate
the source in order to eliminate the flies.
2. The key to controlling these infestations is to locate and eliminate their
3. Killing adult flies will reduce infestation, but elimination of breeding
areas is necessary for good management.
1. 4. Follow our two-step process to eliminate fruit flies.
a. THE Two-step process to rid yourself of fruit flies and other types of
STEP ONE-Lord of the Fruit Fly Traps will attract the fruit
Flies and with proper use, you will notice a difference within days.
STEP TWO - Rid your drains of scum buildup where the flies
breed with weekly treatments of Bio Drain Treatment.